Adopt a section of shoreline and notify us if you see any changes. We especially need eyes on the lake on the Narrows and the Lower Lake.
If you would like to adopt a section of shoreline, please contact us.
Pledge One Day For Chateaugay
We need volunteers to help with:
- cleaning up after the July 4th boat parade
- removing floating milfoil mats during high fragmentation days
- handing out information to boaters and anglers at the boat launch
If you can assist with any of these activities, please contact us.
CLF volunteers help with monitoring and mapping. With our partners at the Adirondack Park Invasive Plant Program and the Adirondack Park Agency, the South Inlet of the Upper Lake has been mapped with GIS waypoints. Each summer, volunteers use a tablet loaded with these waypoints to survey the native and invasive plants at each point. The results found at a waypoint are loaded into the Survey123 app and downloaded to create a map similar to the one shown here. The CLF is looking to expand these valuable surveys to include both the Narrows and Lower Lake in the near future. Surveyors will need special training in advance to participate and must have their own small motorboat, be comfortable navigating using a GPS based system and using an app to enter data.In 2021, volunteers will be surveying the Lower Lake in addition to the South Inlet. If you would like to be a part of this survey, please contact us.
Learn about threats to our Lake
Throughout the year, various agencies throughout the Adirondacks conduct seminars, webinars and in-person trainings. For a list of upcoming events, click below.
Chateaugay Lake is located in three towns. Most of Upper Chateaugay Lake is in the Town of Dannemora, most of the Chateaugay Narrows is in the Town of Ellenburg, and all of Lower Chateaugay Lake is in the Town of Bellmont. The Towns influence many issues affecting Chateaugay Lake. Other groups involved in matters affecting the Lake include the Water Level Control District Board and the Chateaugay Lakes Association, as well as the Chateaugay Lake Foundation. Here are key local contacts.
Town of Bellmont
Meets 3rd Monday at 7:30 pm. at the Bellmont Town Hall located at 9 Hill Road, Brainardsville
Address: PO Box 35, Brainardsville, NY 12920-0035
- H. Bruce Russell, Supervisor, 518-425-3461 (or), or 518-483-3613, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greg Langdon, Councilperson, 518-483-9226 (H), email@example.com
- Jeff Manley, Councilperson, 518-425-6145(H), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wayne Rogers, Councilperson, 518-483-7848 (H), email@example.com
- Harley Titus, Councilperson, 518-425-6638 (H), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Judy Nason, Town Clerk, 518-483-9313 (H), email@example.com
Town of Dannemora
Meets 3rd Wednesday at 6:00 pm at the Meeting Room at the Dannemora Municipal Building located at 78 Higby Road, Chazy Lake
Address: 78 Higby Road, Ellenburg Depot, NY 12935
Town Office: 518-492-7541, 518-492-7314 (fax)
- William Chase, Supervisor, 518-492-7541 x1, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Martha Sweeney, Deputy Supervisor, 518-492-7138
- James Barber, Councilor, 518-492-7320 (H), email@example.com
- Stephen Dubrey, 518-492-7288 (H), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joseph LeClair, Councilor, 518-735-4551 (H), email@example.com
- Joey Varin, Councilor, 518-492-7729, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deborah Coryer, Town Clerk, 518-492-7541 x4, email@example.com
Town of Ellenburg
Meets 3rd Tuesday at 6:30 pm. at the town hall located at 16 St. Edmond’s Way,Ellenburg Center, NY
Address: PO Box 22 Ellenburg Center, NY 12934
Town Office: 518-594-7340, 518-594-3657 (fax)
- Jason Dezan, Supervisor, 518-594-7340 (O), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nathan Bombard, Deputy Supervisor, Councilor
- Deryl Gregory, Councilor, 518-594-3901 (H)
- Derrick Glaude, Councilor
- Debra Grogan, Councilor
- Bethany Fortin, Town Clerk, 518-594-5018, email@example.com
CHATEAUGAY LAKE WATER LEVEL CONTROL DISTRICT BOARD
This nine-member advisory board is appointed by the Towns to advise on water level control issues and management of the Forge Dam.
Town of Bellmont Appointees
- Donald Bilow, Member and Chairman, 518-497-6266 (H), 518-365-2403 (cell), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hubert Wilcox, Member, email@example.com
- Joseph Perry, Member, 518-425-3549 (H)
Town of Dannemora Appointees
- No Appointees
Town of Ellenburg Appointees
- Vina Gonzalez, Member, 518-425-3490 (H)
- Tim McElroy, Member and Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deidre Skinner, Member and Vice Chairman, email@example.com
- John Dowd, Alternate, firstname.lastname@example.org
CHATEAUGAY LAKES ASSOCIATION
Address: PO Box 174 Brainardsville, NY 12915
The CLA is a membership association of lake residents, visitors and others who enjoy Chateaugay Lake. It was formed over 40 years ago and has sponsored a variety of social, recreational, ecological and educational activities related to the Lake over the years.
- Jeff Manley, President, email@example.com
- Craig Dumas, Vice President, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Matthew McArdle, Treasurer, email@example.com
- Susan Bancroft, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steve Matteson, Director, email@example.com
- Wanda Matteson, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donna Studlack, Membership Chair, email@example.com
- Nancy Tatro, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org